Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Striped Marsh Frogs

Cleaning up in the backyard, I moved a couple of plastic crates. Disturbed a young marsh frog, one of the three species of frog frequenting my backyard. This one is about 5 cm long, or 2 inches. For comparison the curve on the right is the crate's handle.


Young Striped Marsh Frog,  photo by R de Heer
In the next photo he is about to depart. Since it was a very drying day, I wet my hands in the frog pond and carried him to the relative safety of the frog habitat.

Young Striped Marsh Frog on his way, photo by R de Heer


It was interfering in natural processes again, I know. I like to give frogs a bit of help, they have so many predators now.

Not only natural enemies such as red belly black snakes, (hopefully not one of them in my backyard!) kookaburras, currawongs, water dragons, pythons and goannas but also cats and dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment