Sunday, June 19, 2011

Unconnected Shrub

This exotic bush, that I never knew the name of, grew and grew beside my drive for all the twenty five years I've lived in this house. In fact, I brought it with me as a cutting from the flat where I lived previously.

Before I started cutting it back, it had four trunks and more than a dozen suckers busily making new trunks. Two thirds of it had crept into my neighbour's yard and it was beginning to try and encroach onto my drive.

Over the years, I've cut it back dozens of times but this time I decided to get rid of it altogether.
I've already made a couple of huge piles of clippings in the front yard and now must get a bush regenerator in to help me kill the stumps.

What is interesting about all this in relation to biodiversity, is that apart from the sap sucking creature in the second photo, I found absolutely no insect life on the bush.

And this creature doesn't appear to have made any inroads into the leaf that it is on. The leaf still as healthy as any other on the bush.

In other words this shrub is not part of the local wildlife cycle at all. Presumably because its defences are too good.

And while it did flower, I've never seen any insects trying to pollinate it. Or any fruit or berries.

It's quite a good place for a taller tree. In the extreme south of my property, so won't shade my house. It would miss most of the wires. It's between two drives. I'm thinking a caper berry tree attractive to butterflies and birds. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment