Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Weed 1, Broadleaf Paspalum

Weeding Paspalum
Broadleaf Paspalum was introduced in this region as a pasture plant for its ability to grow luxuriantly in the shade. Naturally it does rather well in gardens, too.

Autumn, now, is the time paspalum grass sets seed and I have various places around the yard with an overgrowth. All the rain we've had. In the pic, the paspalum is at the back against the fence. Nasturtium is the pale green stuff in the middle ground, only slightly weedy, with cheery flowers.

Paspalum can be pulled out by single plants. Pulling a tussock is impossible. You'd need a mattock. I like pulling. A tussock can contain anything up to twenty individual plants.

I heard recently that paspalum seeds stay viable for three years! So its definitely worthwhile to get rid of as many seeds as possible. Saves a lot of weeding down the track. So I'm trying something new this year, instead of tossing the whole plant in the compost.

I cut, with the secateurs lying there by the plastic bag, the plants from the bunch of seed heads which I put in the plastic bags. The plants with a bit of dirt still attached to their roots I'll drop anywhere, they won't regrow and when rotted down provide mulch. The bag of seed heads I'll try to compost in the bag, in the fiercest heat of a heap, and see what I get.

In this area, beside the fence, I'm covering the weeded patches with bark chips. Working my way down the strip. It was the strip of ground where all the past residents, and me too before I became a born-again conservationist, threw their building rubbish. So there's plenty of old cement in the ground there, fibro, brick rubble, tiles, all kinds of stuff. And very difficult to grow native plants there. I hope the bark chips will rot down and do some good.

What's your worst weed? And what do you do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment