Friday, April 22, 2011

Beetle Larva

Beetle Larva
Back in my bad old days I used to feed creatures such as this to my chickens.

I'd meet a grub while I dug in a wood chip pile and toss it into the poultry yard. The chooks would come running.

As large as approximately the upper two joints of my pinkie finger, all that this poor creature wanted to do, was dig its way back into the dark of the soil.

This could be the larva of a christmas beetle or rhinoceros beetle and I would be proud to see either one digging its way from the soil after spending from two to seven years in its larval stage.

Christmas beetles usually metamorphose around Christmas time as suggested by their name. When I was a child I used to think they were named so due to their colouring. That creamy gold with glints of reds and yellows. Good enough to use as an tree ornament.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post :D
    thought you might like my machinima film the butterfly's tale~
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1fO8SxQs-E
    Bright Blessings
    elf ~

    ReplyDelete