Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Birds Nest Fern in Trouble

Birds Nest Fern in Trouble
During the 40 degree centigrade/102 degrees Fahrenheit heatwave we had here a couple of days ago, I thought I would lose my twenty-five-year old birds-nest fern, shown above, literally keeling over. 

Half a dozen leaves were sunburnt and its rootball had dried out and shrunk, causing it to lean over in the hole into which I had transplanted it a couple of years ago at the feet of a bangalow palm and a tree fern. 

I'd had to move it in the first place because it originally grew at the base of a tree that died. That place became much too sunny. This new place again, when with all the rain we've been having, the trees above it grew higher, leaving the poor old birds-nest in the sun again.  

Birdsnest Fern out of the ground and being Moved
I waited until after the sun went down before I began though it was still hot and humid. I started with soaking the rootball for first aid. Then cut most of its mature leaves off, a little over halfway along their length. Manoeuvred it onto a bit of black plastic to drag it to its new and hopefully permanent home. It may work. Here's hoping.



No comments:

Post a Comment