Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cicada Hatching

This cicada is hatching rather late in the day. Usually it is done by dawn, and the insect is hiding from its predators in the surrounding shrubbery by the time the sun is up.

Though this photo is from a couple of years ago, I am finding numerous cicada nymph casings on the vertical surfaces around the yard. I don't know enough about them to know what sort is hatching here.

Cicada nymphs live in the ground, often for years, sucking their food from tree roots.


This year we have many more bladder cicadas than I have ever known here in my little area. This species makes a loud ringing sound, starting after dark. I hear them even when it is raining. It can't be because we are having more rain because they live in the ground for more than the couple of years since the drought has broken.

Do you have cicadas where you live?

No comments:

Post a Comment