Saturday, November 20, 2010

Orchard Swallowtail Butterflies vs Stink Bugs

This morning I had another go at inventing an organic mixture with which to control stink bugs. Unfortunately neither my camera nor my phone would give me back the photos I took.

I have three citrus trees which support a variety of wild life as well as providing me with fruit, in season. I sighted half a dozen orchard swallowtail caterpillars (as portrayed, on cumquat leaf) today, so any kind of spraying is out of the question.

Orchard Swallowtail Caterpillar, Nov 2009

Also this spring, an explosion of stink bugs. Dozens of fat, chocolate-brown specimens and dozens more young ones all the shades of green through bright orange and salmon with striped black and white feelers. Quite pretty and I don't mind a couple here and there. They are part of the dance after all.

 A couple of cups of white vinegar in a tall old plastic jug heavily "salted" with chilli powder and swirled around quickly killed most of the ones I managed to flick in there with a long paint brush. Taking them by surprise, I didn't get sprayed. Fifteen minutes later they were dead. The beauty with this kind of mixture is that it and the dead insects can be composted, and so the nutrients recycled.

Any other, better mixtures out there?

3 comments:

  1. what is that? is that a family of stink bugs? or just a caterpillar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please check your caterpillar again. I've raised many orchard and fuscous swallowtail caterpillars. Fuscous Swallowtail caterpillars are smooth, Orchard Swallowtail caterpillars have the protrusions.
    Your photo is showing up in Google images as a photo of the Fuscous. cheers, Helen
    http://www.earthling.com.au/01_cms/details.asp?ID=60

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen Schwenke. I have corrected the blog.To try and overcome that Google will not automatically correct, I will repost. See if that fixes it.

      Delete